The past two weeks were all about trees, trees, trees! I made two separate linoleum blocks of trees for one spread. Two, because working on 12×12 block is much easier than working on 18×24 block, as I tend to twirl it around while carving. Printing the blocks for the first time was amazing. Everything fell right into place!
Above is the (very crude) first print. I also made a final print of the yellow background which I’m kind of saving for a later post when more details are ready. And if you’re interested in technical specks, my chosen paper was Arches, hot press watercolor paper 90 lb.
After mentally approving the blocks I moved on to color. And since printing is more fun when I get to play a little with imperfect results that would tell a story about creating art, I set out to print the trees in two layers. Ah! but then color choices needed to be made and they should have enhanced each other. Below is a photo of some of the trial prints. I learned so much about color consistency that is just right for showing the fine details of the trees, and had fun mixing a myriad of hues with five ink tubes, one of which is a transparent medium.